Could it really be possible…a round of golf, an afternoon laughing with friends…even just getting a manicure could help you live longer?
Yes! Research shows that spending time doing what you love could help you avoid a host of disease risk factors, especially as you grow older. That’s why so many retirement-aged people are choosing senior living communities like The Glen at Lake Oconee Village, with its extensive range of activities, events and opportunities for leisure.
They’re not only choosing a carefree lifestyle for what it offers, but also what it helps them avoid—chores!
Just as important as having lots of fun things to do is having the time to do them…which, if you are still taking care of a house or apartment, can be difficult. Instead of enjoying yoga or a relaxing walk outdoors, you’re scheduling repairs, raking leaves, planning meals and taking care of countless details. That can be a lot of stress, and it’s not good for you.
Now consider the residents of The Glen—they’ve traded those worries for a maintenance-free lifestyle filled with services like scheduled transportation, exterior and interior maintenance, an array of dining options, and more—that gives them the newfound freedom for more fun, friends, and health-boosting leisure.
In fact, it might be one of the most important things they’ve ever done! Research shows that people who are more physically active are less likely to fall ill and have reduced medical expenses and hospital stays as compared to the person who is physically inactive.
Consider these additional benefits of leisure:
• Your body will thank you. Regularly engaging in fun and relaxing activities can lower your blood pressure, help you avoid weight gain and lower cortisol, the stress hormone that has a negative effect on your health. For residents of The Glen, finding something to do is easy, as the activities calendar is filled with an array of cultural, educational and social events and activities.
• It helps you stay healthy. Being more physically active helps boost your immune system, as well as lower blood pressure and cholesterol. A wide choice of classes and workout opportunities is available in The Glen’s fully equipped exercise studio for residents, along with expert instruction.
• A little goes a long way. Yoga is a wonderful way to reap the benefits of leisure. Yoga helps improve flexibility, strength, balance and endurance. Even more, yoga teaches you how to breathe to achieve a sense of ease and calm. The certified yoga instructor at The Glen at Lake Oconee Village offers relaxing, yet focused classes for interested residents.
• A stroll is good for the soul. Sometimes just having the time to take a refreshing walk…particularly outdoors…can lift your mood and help your entire body relax. Walking also can strengthen your heart, reduce blood pressure, strengthen and tone muscles, and can improve your mood. The walking trails at The Glen are a perfect respite for those residents who enjoy getting outdoors, especially those with pets.
• Relaxation is vital to reducing stress. Studies confirm that stress boosts disease risk and hastens aging, so it’s obviously something you want to avoid if possible. And it can be something simple. For example, residents of The Glen can visit the on-site salon for a manicure, pedicure, facial or massage. Tend their favorite flowers in elevated garden beds. Munch on popcorn and see a movie in the media room. Join friends for happy hour at the sunken bar in the full-service cocktail lounge. In other words, relaxation at The Glen is whatever you choose it to be—as active or as peaceful as you like.
Less worry means better health. Leisure clearly is good for you—and even better, living in a vibrant community focused on preventive wellness, such as The Glen, is part of it. Having nighttime security and a 24-hour concierge offers residents peace of mind. Knowing a local physician regularly visits and 24-hour nursing is on hand also takes away some of the health-robbing stress of living alone or isolated from loved ones. The Glen also features an on-site lab, medication delivery and fully equipped exam room.
So, while Mother was right…eating vegetables is good for you…it’s good to know a little “goofing off” could have a big impact on your longevity!
At The Glen at Lake Oconee Village, we invite you to spend a day of leisure with us! Call us at (706) 999-3535. We’ll introduce you to our leisure activities and events, as well as the services that free you to enjoy them.